Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Here’s what I’m gonna do, I’m gonna head down to Boca and brown up a bit


I recently had a conversation with a girlfriend that is ten years younger than me. While I have never felt old when I’m around her, there was something about that particular conversation that made me feel old. Maybe it was the fact that she was getting ready to pack up her life, and move to another country for three months just because she could, or maybe it was the fact that we were having this conversation at 10pm…on a school night, I was ready for bed! Whatever the case may be, I was very well aware of my age while talking to her. And as always, these kinds of situations are the ones I always tend to over analyze to death. This conversation made me realize that there are things out there that I am too old to do and believe you me, I never in a million years thought I would have enough things to compile in my list of things that I am to old for…but here they are.

Sleeping on the floor, Twilight, piercings (nose, belly button, tongue, and eyebrow), making a meal out of ice cream, making out in public, wearing a bikini, leather mini-skirts, reading the fine print, hip words like sick and sweet, wearing concert T-shirts, watching MTV, drinking too much, fighting with my friends, helping my friends move when payment is just pizza and beer, running up an escalator the wrong way, keeping a dream diary, staying up all night, inventing a new trend, starting a band, camping out in the backyard, becoming a spy, starting my own secret society, deciding what I want to be when I grow up, stage diving and crowd surfing at a rock concert, Spring Break, leading a mysterious life, spending 24 hours alone in a jungle, getting caught having sex and not feeling embarrassed, having a six pack, getting a tattoo, triggering a social revolution, going to a rave, putting off going to the doctor, drinking shots with strangers, pulling an all nighter, hanging posters on my wall without frames, being a pro athlete, learning new video games. And the list goes on and on and on.

This conversation with my girlfriend also made me realize that there are many things in my life that I am doing now that as a kid I would have been completely embarrassed about had my parents done them. You know, things that only old and uncool parents do…so in true Julie fashion…here is my list of things I am completely embarrassed to admit that I do as an adult.

Heatedly complain about the produce at the grocery store, these melons aren’t ripe, the tomatoes are mushy. Rolling my eyes at the theater concession stand and saying “Wow! What a great deal! Great prices!” upon hearing the total…every..single…time! Being afraid to have parties because I struggle to stay up past 11 and would be pissed because people were still at my house when I am ready to go to bed. Asking the clerk behind the liquor counter why I didn’t get carded. Tivoing every episode of Golden Girls and turning down a night of fun with my friends just to watch these episodes. Making my family a sensible dinner then consuming six fun size Snickers while standing in the pantry. Accusing my neighbor of stealing my measuring cup for two weeks before finding it in the back of my dishwasher. And last but not least, harassing my kids to please play Wii with me just so I can feel cool.

It’s amazing as I look back on my life and realize that I am at exactly the age my parents were when I thought they seemed old. It’s sad and depressing but if I were being honest, it’s quite funny too. These lists have been a huge wake up call for me when it comes to being who I want to be. I’ve realized I don’t have to fall into the trap of becoming my mom. I can be whomever I choose. I can still be young at heart, spunky and a cool mom, or I can become the girl who Tivo’s Golden girls and ditches her friends to watch it.

But I won’t …Mark my words! I will not be that girl in 2010. Even though my motto for the year is “the new going out is staying in” I will not become that person!

So pack it up old farts…The Julie Train is leaving the station…Choo! Choo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy