Friday, July 10, 2009

13.1 reasons why I ran a mini-marathon

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to run a mini marathon. Why, you might ask? I have no freaking idea because I hate to run! I think deep down inside I just want the satisfaction of knowing I could do it. Plus people usually think you are pretty cool when they find out you have run a mini marathon. In all honesty, I declared 2009 my year to a healthier me! I want to look hot before I turn 40, mostly to make my ex pissed that he left me, but really because I want to get into better shape. So this is my year. I know, I will only be 39 next year, but I didn't want to procrastinate to the very last minute in case something came up and I couldn't finish it this year. It would at least have given me another year to train if I needed it.

So I began training for 13.1 miles on January 1, 2009. This was the dumbest decision I have ever made. Who starts training for a mini on New Years Day? Nothing like running for the first time in months with a hangover...good times! Training was tough...especially since I HATE RUNNING! (did I mention that already) There is not one thing I enjoy about running. Oh wait, I take that back, I like the first hour after I have finished running. Why you may ask? Not for the runners high that most people enjoy. Oh no...that's not me. I enjoy that first hour after because I know I won't have to do it again for another 24 hours. Call me crazy, but that is the only reason why I enjoy running.

Anyway, I was getting frustrated with myself when I was telling someone the other day about my experience. I began to realize that I didn't have a lot of positive things to say about running. So I tried to come up with a list of the reasons why I ran the mini...not all of them positive...but he it's the best I could do.

1. Because I am to much of a wimp to do a full marathon.

2. Because I promised myself if I completed a mini marathon I would never ever run for distance again, so far I have stuck to my promise.

3. For the sense of accomplishment.

4. Because I got to buy a new pair of shoes every three months. What girl doesn't like to shop, even if it is for running shoes?

5. Because I can eat more! And for those of you that know me, you know I love to eat!

6. Because I got a free T-shirt, which was way to big for me and I may only wear it when I paint, but hey, it was free!

7. Because it made me feel like an actual athlete for a few short minutes, at least until I crossed the finish line, weeping in pain.

8. Because people think I'm some kind of superhero for doing it. And we all know I care what other people think about me!

9. Because it is a good source of conversation on a first date, sometimes it's the only conversation on a first date.

10. Because it teaches discipline...well for the four months of training anyway.

11. Because of the shear satisfaction of knowing I have completed it and will never ever have to do it again

12. Because I got to see all types of yahoos running as well. It's kind of inspirational and funny at times, especially when a guy dressed in a hot dog costume comes flying by.

13. For the pure joy of hearing my kids say, "what place did you come in mommy?" That's a reality check if I ever had one!

.1 So I can check it off my bucket list.

And check it off my bucket list, I did! So far, I have kept my promise to never ever run for distance again. And that is one resolution that I know I will never have trouble keeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy