Friday, August 28, 2009

I may be a divorced single mom, but I effing ROCK

"Let's just be friends"...I don't think there is a more condescending sentence in the English language. I HATE THIS LINE...I hate hearing it and I hate using it. Why is it that we always hear this line when people break up? I mean if you really think about it, it's a huge stab in the back! But it is probably better than hearing something like, "I just don't want to go out with you" or "I don't like you like that" or I know we have been going out for a while, but I think I can do better" and last but not least, it is certainly better than hearing, "So long, and thanks for the great sex."

Actually, the more I think about it, I would rather hear the "let's be friends" crap than something that starts out like, "you are a great girl, but..." But? But what? Hello, I know I am a great girl! I read, I write, I think, I'm funny, active, kind, caring, honest, creative and empathetic. Heck, I'm even a great mom! But let me let you in on a little secret...I'm not just a great girl, I'm an EFFING GREAT GIRL! Trust me, your mom could only hope that you would end up with a girl like me. And your friends? Yeah, they would be impressed by me too. In fact, if they knew you just wanted to be friends with me, they would think you were crazy!

Nine times out of ten when I hear this line, it's because my physical type doesn't match what most men think they want. I am, in a word, average. I'm 5'6 (but wear heels every day, so this makes me 5'9) which is not much shorter than the average guy. Side note: Have you ever noticed that most men who are 5'10 and 5'11 will say they are six feet tall? What do you think I won't notice how tall you are when we meet? Sorry...back on track. Bottom line, I'm not a super hard bodied girl! I work out consistently and hard three days a week and eat healthy 90% of the time.

Let's face it, I AM NOT, nor will I ever be a waif, or petite or athletic and toned or slender as some online profiles like to categorize body types. I will always consider myself average...and most men don't want average! I may not physically be what you envision, but I am GREAT! If I could trade in being great for being someone who is the media's standard of pretty, I wouldn't do it! Because you know what...pretty fades in ten years. And in ten years, I will still be active, caring, creative, empathetic, funny and a great mom...even if I do look like a troll. Best part, I will still be able to make you smile and crack stupid jokes even if I have to wear coke bottle glasses and scrape my boobs up off of the ground! I will still EFFING ROCK, will you?

So to answer your question, No...I don't really want to be friends. I don't need anymore pen pals, text buddies or beer partners! Bottom line, you don't think I am attractive and every time I would hang out with you I would be self conscious that you think I'm ugly and I then wouldn't be able to act like myself around you. So, I will continue to be friendly because that is the kind of person I am but you can take your "I can do better" attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine. I no longer need "friends" like you in my life!

1 comment:

  1. Visiting from SITS (Congrats today, BTW)! The title pulled me in on this post and you are right, you effing ROCK! All I can say is that I agree, you don't need friends like that ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy