Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hate is a strong word

There are not a lot of things in this world that I can actually say I hate. I may dislike things, but I don’t hate a lot. But do you know what I hate more than texting with a stranger before I have actually had a phone conversation with them?

I hate the fade out?


What is the fade out, you might ask?

It’s when someone you have met suddenly stops calling and drops off the face of the earth. It’s the weak man’s way around an uncomfortable conversation.

Most people I know, both men and women, have been on the receiving end of the fade out at one time or another in their lives. I have definitely had my fair share of men who have pulled the old fade out on me. I will admit it, it sucks! But it is what it is and we have no choice but to move on.

Most times I wish men had the balls to call and say they were no longer interested instead of stopping the flow of communication all together. I mean, we are all adults. I can take it if you aren’t interested in me. More often than not, I probably wasn’t all that interested in you either.

I’m not proud…I have just pulled the fade out on Mr. Smiles A lot.

I’ve never done it before, and I feel horribly guilty. I justify it by saying, we didn’t have a lot invested in each other, so I just didn’t feel like the confrontation was necessary. We had only been on one date and had a few awkward text conversations. That’s it. I knew within the first 2 minutes of our date that I wouldn’t be going out with him a 2nd time, but I didn’t have the balls to admit that when he said “we should do this again” at the end of the evening.

I didn’t want to be on the other end of hurting his feelings.

I didn’t want to have to answer the question, why not?

It’s not a good excuse, but it’s my excuse.

1 comment:

  1. I am currently on the receiving end of a Fade Out..it is miserable but as you say "It is what it is" -my favorite saying by the way.

    I tried to give someone the Fade Out but in the end I felt to guilty. I finally texted him back and said "Thank you for the one date we went on but I don't think we have enough in common to pursue anything further" or something like that. I sure felt better afterwards and he finally stopped texting and calling.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy