When I was a kid I swore I would never be an “uncool” parent like I thought my parents were. I always felt like my parents were old, even though they weren’t. They were “younger” parents than I am. But I am finding that it is more and more difficult to be cool the older we get. Sure I can wear trendy clothing, but it’s not just the clothing that makes me “cool”. In fact I saw a picture of an old friend of mine recently with his new girlfriend and they were both wearing very trendy clothes, and I immediately thought….”hmmmmm, is that really necessary?” I felt like they were probably a little old to be wearing what they were wearing, thus I thought they seemed uncool. It’s a viscious cycle that never seems to end.
It made me start thinking about my age and how sometimes I don’t feel cool anymore. My Non-boyfriend boyfriend always tells me I’m not old, but I think he says that for different reasons, *wink wink*. Nevertheless, it got me thinking about things that I do in my life that make me seem uncool.
So sit back and relax while I share with you the Top Ten Signs You Are No Longer Cool.
10. When someone mentions “surfing” and you automatically picture waves and a surf board.
9. You actually ask for your dad’s advice instead of rolling your eyes at him when he gives it to you unsolicited.
8. You bought your first car for the same price that you paid for your son’s iPod Touch.
7. You remember the Rolling Stones as a rock group and not a corporation.
6. When jogging is something you do to your memory and not as a form of exercise.
5. When grass is something that you cut, not cultivate.
4. You turn down free tickets to a rock concert because you have an early morning the next day.
3. You criticize the kids of today for their loud music, and emo hairstyles forgetting that you flashed your way to the front row of a Motley Crue/Poison concert your freshman year in college.
2. You think “tragically hip” is when a middle aged man leaves his wife, gets a new sports car, and a 20 year old girlfriend.
And the number one way to tell that you are no longer cool…
1. You find yourself listening to talk radio (I’m not ashamed to admit that I love it!)