Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Project Love: Day #23

Unlucky in love
I hate the saying…”unlucky in love.” I hate it because it describes my love life to a “T”. When my friends describe me, they would never say something like, “she has the best love life ever” (well…maybe they would after our discussion Sunday night, but that’s beside the point and never ever to be mentioned again on this blog).

Anywho…what I am beginning to realize is that true love is not like the love in the movies. But more importantly to me true love is only considered true love for those people who invest time in learning about themselves first. For often they are the ones who learn how to get and keep love.

I have been reflecting on my own romantic experiences as of late and realized that I have learned so much over the years, not only about myself but more importantly about love. Some of these experiences I learned by doing and some I learned by watching my friends in their relationships. Either way, I thought you might like to know what I have learned about love…

Things I have learned about love

I can’t hurry or buy love.

Never give advice to friends who have just fallen in or out of love.

Unrequited love SUCKS.

I will never compromise myself for someone else.

Don’t put time and energy in liking someone who is clearly not interested in you.

Even though someone might seem amazing, it doesn’t always mean he would be right for you.

Opposites attract, but they don’t always compliment one another.

Some people aren’t meant to be more than just your friend.

Sometimes a friend can turn into a lover.

Love always finds a way.

Pining after an ex is never attractive.

A relationship with a selfish person more than likely won’t last.

Sometimes you just have to give in.

Settling is never ok.

Love can be very complicated

Good love is worth it in the end.

One can only get by on charm for about ten minutes, but after that you better have something to contribute.

No matter how thin you slice it, there is always two sides.

No matter how hot and steamy a relationship is in the beginning, the passion fades and you better have something else to take its place.

Learning to forgive takes practice.

There are people who may love you dearly but just don’t know how to show it.

True love continues to grow, even over the long distance.

Just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to love you doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all that they have.

No matter how much you love, some people just don’t love back.

No matter how bad you may be hurting after a break-up, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.

It’s not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts.

While I think all of these love lessons are good and have been very valuable to me I think the most important lesson of all that I have learned about love is that I cannot make someone love me. All I can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them. Believe me, people, I have learned this one the hard way. But I wouldn’t change a thing!

Love is a Battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy