"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs and rights. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1Corinthians 13;4-8
I don't think I have ever quoted scripture from the Bible on my blog...this is definitely a first. But what's weird is that this was the topic of the sermon at church yesterday. I haven't been to church in over a year, but I had this little voice in the back of my head when I woke up yesterday encouraging me to go. I was glad I did as the topic of love has been consuming my brain lately. I have been trying to figure out a definition for the word love and have realized that it is virtually impossible to define, because it is not only a feeling, but an action as well.
That particular Bible verse happens to describe the characteristics of true love. And the problem with trying to find true love in our dating lives is that too often we overlook those particular characteristics in search of the more materialistic ones, such as, physical appearance, social status and financial stability.
I have tried my best to get to know the individuals I date before making any kind of snap judgments, but this process too has failed me. In fact, I am flat out convinced that people aren't looking for love anymore because they don't know what love is.
So here is my attempt to define love.
What is love? Love is...
- that which frees us from all of the weight and pain of life
- a friendship set on fire
- the master key that opens the doors of happiness
- like war, easy to start but hard to end
- the irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired
- the attachment that results from deeply appreciating another's goodness
- accepting, never judging
- wanting another person to feel good
- one of the strongest emotions a person can feel
- the answer to all questions
- a story that can never be fully expressed
- a bond or connection between two people that results in trust and intimacy
- looking past the imperfections in your partner and seeing the beautiful person inside
- no expectations of anything in return
- no restrictions
- no limitations
- being someone who loves someone for who they are, not what you think they should be
- unconditional respect
- something between two people that never ends even through the difficult times
- a kiss given despite morning breath
- when you care for someone with all your heart, soul and being
- making the harder decision
- unconditional caring for another human being
- never having to say your sorry
- the willingness to forgive
- something that gives the butterflies in your stomach a reason to dust themselves off again and fly
- putting the needs of other above your own
- like heaven but hurts like hell.