Sunday, June 5, 2011

Always a bridesmaid, but never one who shits in the street

It was a pee your pants funny kind of movie.

Ok, at my age everything is pee your pants worthy. You know, by the time you’ve had a couple of kids it just gets harder and harder to control.

Sexy, huh?

It’s no wonder I’m still single.

Anyway, enough about my bodily functions and back to the movie.

I have to say, I haven’t laughed this hard at a movie…ever! I laughed from the very first scene to the last scene.

A few times, in fact, I laughed so hard I cried.

And sadly enough, quite a few times I just cried. I didn’t sob uncontrollably or anything like that, but I did get teary eyed.

I cried, because I saw the reality of my life in Annie…and it wasn’t pretty. In fact, a couple of times it was embarrassing. From her relationship with her “eff buddy”, aka Hot Fireman in my life, to the reality that the lives of her friends are so much better than her crappy life.

But the worst is that as the movie went along I saw a lot of myself in Annie, the sad, lonely and pathetic part.

John Hamm played her eff buddy. A lot like my relationship with the Hot Fireman, Annie wanted nothing more than for him to like her for more than just a warm body. She convinced herself that what they had was awesome because he was so hot, even though she felt like crap after each time that they were together. She felt like crap because she knew deep down inside that she wanted more than he was willing to give her, and she was willing to settle for that. And because she was settling, she was closing the door to potential good guys, aka, Officer Rhodes in the movie.

It hit me like a ton of bricks when Lillian, the Bride and Annie’s best friend, said to Annie, “You are a total catch. Any guy would be psyched to be your man. You should just make room for someone who is nice to you.” My friends have been saying that to me all along, but it’s funny how it takes a total stranger for it to hit home.

So, to my girls…my new motto in life is this…”it’s happening, it’s happening, oh God, it’s happening!”

1 comment:

  1. oh... If *I* could just get there...

    Congrats on your realization!! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy