Thursday, February 16, 2012

Anonymous

I started this blog almost 3 years ago.

Can you believe it’s been that long?

I can’t.

Quite frankly, when I started blogging, at the encouragement of my friends, I never thought I would have enough material to keep it going. But thank goodness I’m still single and a mom of boys. As long as I have one of the two of those things going for me, I am confident that I will always have stories to tell.
And that brings me to the point of this post.

This blog is and has always been a forum for me to tell my stories, process the goings on of my life, and most importantly to vent. It has never been my goal to hurt anyone, hence the reason why I never ever name names. If I’m asked by someone if I wrote about them I would be honest. Obviously, I’m not one to hold back. In fact, most people in my life would say that one thing they like about me is that they always know where they stand with me.

I value that quality.

So when I got two anonymous negative comments in the past week on my Mr. Emotional Roller Coaster article, I was a little shocked. In my almost three years blogging, I have never gotten any negative feedback. Don’t worry, I’m not stressed about it because I believe any feedback is good feedback. It means people are reading, listening and being challenged.

One of the questions I was asked by said anonymous commenter is if I realized that I was the common factor in all of the negative dating experiences I have had. My response to that is a resounding, YES, I am very well aware of the fact that I am the common denominator in all of these stories. I have never claimed to be innocent nor perfect in my dating life. In fact, I would say over half of my blogs are about me and the crazy mistakes I make in my life. I’m always fessing up and saying I’m not proud of my behavior and choices.

The good thing is that they are all learning experiences!

The other comment that threw me off came today. I was asked by another anonymous commenter if I ever told the guys that I write about that I am writing about them. The comment then went on to say that if I didn’t it was disrespectful.

As you can imagine, I also have some things to say about this…

First, and foremost,I in no way ever mean to be disrespectful to anyone. That’s not my style. I also think that “freedom of speech” is something we are all lucky enough to practice. That is one of the things that makes the USA so great. I don’t know what the difference is about me writing about my experiences vs. me sharing them over a drink with my girlfriend.

But most importantly, the thing I want to get across to this anonymous commenter is that I feel the need to remind them that they are doing the same thing I am doing, writing what is on their heart using different names.

It’s no different.

It’s life!

Now, can’t we all just get along?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS!!!! You go girl! Don't ever change who you are just because one person doesn't like what you have to say.

    JB

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Blogs by Mandy